Any sex act
with another person could give you this infection!
Street Names for Chlamydia
the clam, gooey stuff
Facts about Chlamydia
- Caused by chlamydia
trachomatis, a round bacterium that lives inside
- This is the most common infectious disease and STD
reported in the U.S.
- 3-5 million new cases each year.
- Adolescents are very vulnerable.
Chlamydia is a disease usually occurring inside of your
body and usually starts inside your penis, causing an
infection of the urethra, which is the tube down the
middle of your penis that carries urine out of your body.
- Takes 3-5 days (up to 30 days) before a guy will
notice symptoms in his penis.
- Ejaculation is not needed to catch it or pass it.
- 80% of women have no symptoms at all even though they
are infected, therefore they may not know that they are
giving you the same disease.
- Disease can be transmitted to someone else before
Almost same symptoms as Gonohrrea.
- May take 2-3 weeks after exposure before symptoms
occur in the penis.
- Women rarely (20%) have symptoms.
- 40% will get PID, and 20% of these may become
infertile (unable to ever have a baby).
- 18% have extreme chronic pain
- 9% may suffer a life-threatening complication of
pregnancy called a tubal pregnancy
- Can be passed when no symptoms are present.
- Antibiotics correctly chosen by your doctor will
easily cure the disease.
- No over-the-counter medicine works, only the correct
antibiotic, so see a doctor.
A person can get this infection repeatedly!
- Only 100% completely safe option - choose not to have sex!
- Latex condoms work if used properly.
- There is no way to know if your sex partner is
- See your doctor if you have questions or experience
have further questions or concerns about STD’s, ask Dr.
Mike, an internationally known Clinical Microbiologist
specializing in STDs. He has worked extensively with
teenage boys and contributed all the information on the
STD pages. (Change the (at) to @ and the (dot) to . in the email address
(at) comcast (dot) net
Tell Dr Mike how old you are, what country you are from
and then write your message. You will be emailing a
specialist offering his time to help young guys! Your
email will be treated confidentially and erased after he
Get Answers! Get Help! Get Smart!
Take Responsibility for yourself!