Any sex act
with another person could give you this infection!
Street Names for Crab Lice
Facts about Crab Lice
The pubic louse
- May look like a tiny scab on skin or in pubic hairs.
- Caused by the louse named Pediculosis pubis.
- Symptoms (itching) appear about 5 days after exposed
- itching in pubic and groin area is due to a reaction to
bites of the louse that is sucking blood from your skin.
Blue spots occur on the skin where the lice bites you.
- The female louse lays eggs and glues them to your
pubic hair. Eggs hatch within 5-10 days.
Transmission (how it spreads)
- Sexual activity with another person can allow the
lice to move to your body and make a home there.
- Crab lice do not feed regularly and can live up to 24
hours away from a human host…like on a towel, a hat, or
- If you have a friend infected with crab lice and you
use their clothing or towels, you may also become
- Animals do not get or spread pubic lice.
- Head lice are different to crab lice.
Note the crab-like claws that can grasp hairs to allow
the louse to move up (to lay eggs) and down hair (to bite
lay eggs and glue them to hair. These eggs are called
“nits” and are difficult to remove. You may need a
magnifying glass to see them.
There are a number of medications, both prescription and
non-prescription creams, that can be used to kill the
lice. Ask your doctor. You will also have to
wash or dry clean all your clothes, bed linens, and
towels to ensure complete removal. Dead nits and
lice can be removed from your pubic hair and even
eyebrows with a special fine-toothed comb.
- Choose not to have sex - condoms offer no protection.
- Don't share other people's clothing or towel
have further questions or concerns about STDs, ask Dr.
Mike, an internationally known Clinical Microbiologist
specializing in STDs. He has worked extensively with
teenage boys and contributed all the information on the
STD pages. (Change the (at) to @ and the (dot) to . in the email address
(at) comcast (dot) net
Tell Dr Mike how old you are, what country you are from
and then write your message. You will be emailing a
specialist offering his time to help young guys! Your
email will be treated confidentially and erased after he
Get Answers! Get Help! Get Smart!
Take Responsibility for yourself!