Any sex act
with another person could give you this infection!
Street Names for Genital Warts
acuminate warts, venereal warts, condyloma
Facts about Genital Warts
- Caused by a virus called human papilloma virus (HPV).
Not all warts are the sexually transmitted kind and most
are very common.
- Many treatments but NO cures!
- Warts may disappear but the virus remains inside of
- Nothing over-the-counter works to remove genital
warts, especially "wart removers"!
- A doctor must cut them off, burn them off, or freeze
them off…and then the warts still come back later and are
carried for a lifetime.
- There is a clear association with genital warts and
deadly cervical cancer in women! A vaccine for HPV is now
available for girls and women.
- 40 million people carry the HPV virus in the U.S.
About 1 million people get infected yearly.
- Infection stays in one spot on the body, like Herpes.
- Most often spread during sex.
- 40-80% of people exposed to the virus get infected
(many with no symptoms and no visible warts).
- Babies do NOT get it from their mothers.
- Not spread by toilet seats, clothes, tubs, towels.
- Virus lives in cells just under skin surface and
often on the penis.
- Persons with HPV may or may not grow warts from 3
weeks to 9 months after having sex with an infected
- Warts on your penis may be tiny and flat or big and
- Begins as a small, hard spot at site of entry of the
- Genital warts may itch or bleed.
- Usually 6mm (1/4 inch) across and 9mm (3/8 inch)
- Might be no symptoms at all!
- Only 100% completely safe option - choose not to have sex!
- Condoms help, but the wart virus can be on skin not
protected by the condom.
- Always ask your doctor to check unusual warts
regardless of where they are located.
have further questions or concerns about STDs, ask Dr.
Mike, an internationally known Clinical Microbiologist
specializing in STDs. He has worked extensively with
teenage boys and contributed all the information on the
STD pages. (Change the (at) to @ and the (dot) to . in the email address
(at) comcast (dot) net
Tell Dr Mike how old you are, what country you are from
and then write your message. You will be emailing a
specialist offering his time to help young guys! Your
email will be treated confidentially and erased after he
Get Answers! Get Help! Get Smart!
Take Responsibility for yourself!